Saturday, April 26, 2008

Stable Sun-Enthusiasm

No matter how hard I try, I just won’t get tired of listening to The Sun Sawed in 1/2. I’ve been in this state for more than a half of a year now. For me, that is a long time. Usually my favourite band changes at least once a month. And, yes, I had that huge Cars thing a while ago, but I listened to The Sun during that time, too.

I listen to The Sun Sawed in ½ every day and it sounds fresh and new every time. After finding the endless delights of power pop music, I’ve been in love with several other great power pop bands including The Posies, Wondermints, Fountains of Wayne, Super Deluxe, Big Star, The Rubinoos, Weezer, Cherry Twister, Jellyfish, and so on. Of course, I’m still very much in love with all these bands, but with The Sun it somehow feels a bit different. It’s like my love towards that music is more stable, more steady and regular, and more active than what it is towards some other bands, like The Posies.

I definitely love The Posies. I’d really consider The Posies to be one of my ten (maybe even five or three) most important bands ever. However, I rarely listen to them. I surely listen to some Posies every now and then but it’s not that often or that much. This is mostly true of all the other bands I mentioned. When I find a new favourite band, it goes like this: I fall in love, the music feels new and exciting, I may not listen to nearly anything else for a couple of weeks. At some point comes the moment when the enthusiasm goes away. I just don’t feel like listening to that music so much anymore, I’ve listened to all the songs so many times, I feel like it’s time to check out some other stuff.

This has never occurred with The Sun, although if I look at the calendar and think of how much I’ve listened to this music, I already should’ve got tired of The Sun. I haven’t. What is this?

I’ve been thinking about writing more about The Sun for quite some time. That’s why I’m going to write about my thoughts concerning each of The Sun’s albums. I consider this therapeutic and great fun. Also, when you write down your thoughts, you usually end up writing things you never even had thought of before.. Man, that’s exciting!

It would also be cool to hear other people’s thoughts. Is there some artist/music you just can’t stop listening to? How long does it usually take you to finish the most intensive listening period of a new favourite band/artist? How often/how much do you listen to those bands when that intensive period is over?

Until next time.. What is The Sun’s secret? How come, according to my Last.fm profile, I’ve listened 90 times to a song called Beholder And His Eye.. To be continued.

The Sun Sawed in 1/2 at MySpace

No comments: