Monday, September 8, 2008

Hops and Pop

Monsters of Pop Indie Festival was good, as always.. Goodnight Monsters played some catchy Beach Boys-esque pop treats, and the gorgeous Swedish band Forest & Crispian (probably my next favourite band) did the same thing, especially with their last song. There will be a full Monsters of Pop report as soon as I get the inspiration. When I listen to bands play, there are always cool review lines spinning in my head. To write them down later at home is not as easy as reviewing a concert in my head while listening bands play live.

My head seems to be stuck in (a) decade(s) I’ve never actually lived. I watched 16 episodes of Happy Days, I listen to fifties and sixties pop bands all the time, I buy 60s and 50s compilations.. I also grabbed the official soundtrack for a cool film, American Graffiti. It is a two-disc collection of some of the coolest vocal pop, rock’n’roll, doo wop and other r&b of the 50s and early 60s featuring Chuck Berry, The Platters, Buddy Holly, and The Beach Boys, of course, and other top class stuff.

I guess I’m quite happy at the moment. I’m starting my Swedish studies (one of the most wonderful languages there are), listening to cool pop and watching cool TV shows. Also, I walked into the record store Jukeboss today, and The Sun Sawed in 1/2 was being played there.. That was so cool that I couldn’t believe it. Thanks, Bruce Brodeen, for sending those CDs to circulate in used-CD bins in Finland (and no one wants to buy them, even though Fizzy Lift is the coolest album ever)..

When will people come to their senses and realize that The Sun Sawed in 1/2 is/was the most wonderful and gorgeous band in the world? I guess it might help if I spread the word..

No comments: