Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Hooks, Melodies, Harmonies… All For Free!

It’s a new year – a new year for all kinds of good pop! For starters, I’ll stop for a second to analyze the state my blog. One thing is clear: people want to hear music, not buy it immediately. It’s nice to hear the music you’re going to buy, and without proper music samples there’s no point in blabbing about music on the Internet.

So, perhaps I could increase the popularity of this blog by adding more links to free music (since it’s the only thing people seem to care about these days..). No, I’m not going to start any illegal activities, so the links are all going to be honorable – probably mostly music from Last.fm. I’ve come to notice that some bands release large numbers of songs at Last.fm. You can stream the songs on the artist pages.



I remember listening to old Not Lame podcasts about a year ago and there I heard a song called Dirty Girl by The Krinkles. It was one hit for a song and I ended up listening to it quite a many times and finally getting my hands on the band’s latest album The Mordorloff Collection (2007). The album was really good, and I listened to it many times while cycling to school last fall. Just a moment ago I finally realized that the group’s entire catalogue of songs seems to be freely listenable at Last.fm.

The Krinkles are described as a
 power pop/glam act. They come from Chicago. While I’m not very sure about the glam part, I guarantee you’ll find some rocking power pop gems among this material. Gimme Gimme, Stay With Me, and Best Friend are some examples of the group’s most recent sound. There are definitely many cool melodies and harmonies there, and of course hooks. There’s no hooky music without hooks, and if we didn't have hooky music.. Gees, I wouldn't want to imagine life without great hooks.

I also sincerely recommend listening to Blinded by Love. It’s a dark song, there’s even some desperation there.. Reminds of something grungy, like Kurt’s Nirvana, I think. If you like, check out the band’s cover version of Love Is Alright Tonite, and many tracks from their first two albums Three Ringos and Revenge Of The Krinkles. Listen if you feel like it!


The Krinkles at Last.fm

No comments: