Thursday, October 15, 2009

Three Musketenors

I don’t really know any Finnish pop musicians personally. Well, to be honest, my dad used to be a rock star in the 80s but that is another story… During the few years I've been over 18 (and able to get into clubs) I’ve probably seen more than 100 Finnish indie bands play live. The truth is, however, that I don’t know any members of those bands personally, not a single one. The closest contact I have is a second-hand contact. For instance, a friend of mine has a big brother who has played with a couple of bands (which I’ve also seen live).

Today’s topic is my friend’s boyfriend’s band, Wedding Crashers. I heard they chose the name intentionally so that it could be abbreviated “WC”, something that people will remember easily. When it comes to the music, I’ve seen different attributes appear on their MySpace. Once I saw something like “Happy hardcore / Pop” which I though was pretty fun… The last time I checked they described themselves as “Rock / Powerpop / Surf”.

In fact, I saw Wedding Crashers live in Tampere about 1,5 months ago. I liked the gig a lot. I remember the guys were really sympathetic, played well, and had fun stuff to tell between the songs. The band was happy, everyone was happy… That is the way to do it - this miserable, dark country needs more positivity, positive attitude! Wedding Crashers played catchy pop/rock tunes as well as more folky, acoustic material. One of the most memorable things was that they actually ended the gig with a Beatles cover, Please Please Me. I think it was the first time ever I saw a Beatles song played live. What is wrong with this country?..

Go ahead and check out this band. According to my source (the friend I mentioned), the guys wanted to perfect their music before making it public as they intend to be the next Oasis. That is what I call ambition! Wedding Crashers are unsigned at the moment and I don’t think they’ve released much music yet but they’ve been successful in band contests. Last summer they even got to play at Provinssirock, one of the most legendary summer rock festivals in Finland. I’m looking forward to hearing more of their stuff. The guys have talent, they simply have to put it on record.

Wedding Crashers at MySpace
Wedding Crashers Facebook fan page

No comments: