Thursday, March 31, 2011

Tasty stuff

I'm telling you, if I don't write about this band now, I may not do it for quite some time... The same goes for almost any band these days and the reason is simply my laziness.

It all began when I was watching TV... Or rather my brother was channel surfing and came across a video by a really good-sounding female rock band. In the end of the song I found out that it was Barbe-Q-Barbies, a band from Finland. I had to check these Barbies out, so I went to see them live. They rocked real nice and I enjoyed most of the songs immediately. The evening resulted in me going home with the band's debut album All Over You in my bag.

Listening to the album revealed that I had just discovered probably the closest possible Finnish 21st century female equivalent to 70s KISS. Cool 70s hard rock riffs drive this melodic, rocking, catchy music. This release is truly like a fresh blast from the past even though it came out in 2010. In fact, there is one real 70s song here, a cover of Wig-Wam Bam, which is really good. I also enjoy Twisted Little Sister, the more melancholic Dedication for a Friend, and of course Spell. The title track is also great. I wouldn't say there are really any weak links on the album.

So, this album is really all about straightforward rock & roll energy. There is definitely a lot of girl power here but even though the girls have a kick-ass attitude they are not angry. Their music is honest rock and the point is to play good songs. Barbe-Q-Barbies are actually quite experienced already because they have been around since 2002. Therefore the musicianship is on a high level as well as vocalist Niki Rock's skills. By the way, she often sounds just like Avril Lavigne! If only Avril made music this punchy these days...

Energetic, melodic rock with great sounds still makes my day. Like any superb female rock band, Barbe-Q-Barbies are also an inspiration for a wannabe musician like me. If I had friends who can play an instrument I would start a band like this right away!

Barbe-Q-Barbies MySpace Barbe-Q-Barbies Website
Also check out the music video for Spell

No comments: