Friday, February 8, 2008

Dreamy Sounds

Sometimes I feel like I should reward myself every time I listen to something else than power pop. During the past month or so, I’ve been listening to Joy Zipper’s album called American Whip (2003). Joy Zipper’s music is very cool and dreamy. Apparently, this kind of music is called dream pop.

Joy Zipper is Vincent Cafiso and Tabitha Tindale, a real-life couple that makes music together. American Whip is their second album, and it certainly is a good one. The music features nice, fuzzy guitar sounds and occasionally violins. Cafiso and Tindale also create a beautiful blend with their singing voices. There are some love songs on this album. Then, there are songs about drugs, so the lyrics are quite psychedelic at times. There is also a cleverly written song called
Alzheimers, sung from an elderly person’s view.

Baby You Should Know is great and so are Christmas Song and 33x, too. Dosed and Became Invisible might be the greatest of all these songs. I highly recommend that song. It has lots of baroque feel in it. It’s simply powerful.

I really should listen to this kind of music more. It’s too bad I spend 90 % of my spare time listening to power pop. Well, things could be worse…


Joy Zipper at MySpace

No comments: